Preventative Healthcare

Preventative Healthcare

Common Household Hazards

 

There are food and common household items that can be dangerous to your new dog. They should be stored safely beyond their reach in locked cabinets or away from reach. There are more comprehensive lists available online; however what follows is a list of the most common household hazards:

Not all food consumed by humans are safe for pets. Here is a list of foods that can be hazardous:

Alcoholic beverages Caffeine Chocolate Fatty foods

Chicken and turkey bones Grapes and raisins Onions Macadamia nuts

Salt and sugar Yeast dough Avocado

Be conscious of the everyday items that are poisonous to your dog and keep them secured:

All medications Anfreeze Rodent poison Batteries

Car care products Fertilizer Household cleaners Nicotine products

Insecticides Pools and ponds A range of house and garden plants

If your pet ingests a dangerous substance, don’t hesitate, call your Veterinarian immediately.

 

For information on poisoning visit: www.poisons.co.nz

 

Did you know that dental disease is one of the most common health issues in dogs and cats? In fact, dental disease can undermine your pet’s good health and can be very painful and expensive.

Gingivitis is inflammation of the gingival soft tissues surrounding the teeth which is common in dogs and cats. Not only are the teeth at risk, but also the bacterial infection and resultant pain. By the age of three, approximately 80% of dogs and 70% of cats will have some form of gum disease.

Bacteria combine with the soup of saliva and food at the junction between the tooth and gums and form plaque. Gingivitis is caused by the accumulation of this plaque. The plaque grows on the tooth and, as the bacteria continue to proliferate, calcium salts combine with the plaque. These calcium salts form concrete-like tartar to develop on the teeth, leading to periodontal disease.


Periodontal disease causes red swollen, tender gums, salivation and sometimes difficulty eating. The gums often recede and bleeding is common. Pain occurs when the animal eats and it may not eat properly due to the discomfort. Eventually tooth loss occurs as infection destroys the bone around the gum. The bacteria are also continually absorbed into the pet’s body and can cause heart, liver, kidney and lung disease.

Ear mites are the most common mange mites affecting cats and dogs. An estimated 50% of external ear infections in dogs and 85% of ear infections in cats are caused by otodectes mites.

Transmitted via direct contact otodectes are very common in young animals. This parasite can survive several months without a host.

It is a very itchy and distressing condition and needs to be seen by a Veterinarian for treatment, although mild cases may be controlled using some flea treatments such as Advocate and Revolution.

Left untreated may result in severe bacterial ear infections, aural haematoma, burst eardrum etc.

 

Roundworms

Roundworms are zoonotic parasites, which means they can be passed from animals to humans - especially children. They can also be exceptionally good survivors, with viable eggs able to live outside the animal for several years. Roundworm symptoms include vomiting, diarrhoea, pot-belly and colic. Puppies and kittens can develop roundworm at the foetal stage, prior to being born.

Page 2 of 2

Need to make a booking or have an emergency?

Our Hospital is open 7 days and provides a 24/7 ACCIDENT AND EMERGENCY SERVICE with direct access to a qualified staff member to assist you.

Opening Hours

  • 08:00 - 18:00
  • 08:00 - 18:00
  • 08:00 - 18:00
  • 08:00 - 18:00
  • 08:00 - 18:00
  • 08:30 - 12:30
  • 09:00 - 12:00

Contact Us

Address: 35 Totara Street

Mt Maunganui, Bay of Plenty, 3116, New Zealand

Phone: 07 5724200

Email: vet@mountvet.co.nz

Find us on Facebook

CALL US NOW